I designed a web application to help job seekers track and manage their job search. Through user interviews, design sprints, and iterative deployments, I helped build and pivot the product into a platform that helps train and coach any person to find a job in today's market. It's now being used in 8 countries, with over 6000 active users.
Job-seekers have a lot to worry about. Sometimes, they've been out of the job hunt for a while and need to refresh their skills to compete. While there are several resources online, most of them were separate one-off tools that don't account for a user's technical literacy, nor their emotional state-of-being. If they've just lost a job, they can be in a sensitive emotional state so it's important to be empathetic and nurturing through their difficult time.
CareerJSM sought to help these people out, and I was in charge of the design of the app. We partnered with outplacement agencies to learn and maximize the results and effectiveness of our services.
We were designing an app with a suite of tools and resources, that needed to fulfill a set of requirements:
To address our user's needs, I conducted user interviews and surveys to find pain points and areas of improvement. In one case, I discovered that many users have difficulty building authentic relationships with people (i.e.: not a transactional relationship), which was not something the team had considered. After seeing the potential value of this need, I facilitated a team design sprint to address these issues and created a networking dashboard.
The start of any new process is registration and onboarding. While working with outplacement agencies, I created a registration user flow that would work cohesively with consultants. I used thoughtful copy, layout, and animation effects, to ease the user into the product with as little friction as possible. The resulting update increased user sign-up by close to 100%.
One of the other main features I worked on was the job tracker page. I designed it as a kanban board to provide the users with a visual sense of progress as they progress in their job search. Over several iterations, I updated the copy, layout, and structure of the tool to optimize usability for users with low tech-literacy.
To ensure a smooth and bug-free app, I wrote and ran integration tests to ensure features were continuously working. I also manually audited the app for responsive design, web accessibility (WCAG 2.0), and localization compatibility.
I worked on the development of the site using HTML, CSS, EmberJS, with a PostgreSQL backend. Most design tools used were Illustrator, Photoshop, with some After Effects.
I made sure to record, gather, and analyze data to set target KPIs as we were building out the new features. Some things I looked for were user satisfaction, ease-of-use, and overall value. I combined qualitative in-person testing with quantitative survey feedback to gather as much data as possible. After analyzing the data, I presented my findings to the product team and made recommendations on how to proceed. This was an iterative cycle that I conducted every few months.
Throughout my time on this project, I helped increase sign-up rates, user-satisfaction, and set the standard for accessibility and mobile responsiveness.